Saturday, March 24, 2007

Weekend Wrenching


Today I set about doing the annual service on the bike. I had previously picked up the fluid for the final drive and the trans. DOH! I realized already I forgot to get engine oil. I thought I had some around, guess not. So I took it out for a brief drive around the block just to warm it up. Then I set about changing the tranny fluid. DOH! The drain plug for the trans is a 14mm hex cap and the largest I have is 12mm. I guess I can’t do that today. So I decided to go ahead and do the final drive. I did have the annual service done last year at 1000 or so miles. The bike now has 4911. So I drained the final drive and the fluid was very clean. Now I am wondering if I should even bother with the transmission fluid. I guess I will go ahead and do it tomorrow once I get the proper hex cap bolt.

I also decided to remove the rear tire and install the carbon hugger I got over the winter from MLS on eBay.



The hugger mounts where the factor shock guard goes using the factory hardware. I decided to use two washers on the bolts when installing it.





The mounting holes


I am a little disappointed. I would have to say its more of a splash shield than a hugger. Over all its got a nice finish and I guess that’s what you get for $59 USD. I guess you get what you pay for.


The left side installed


Right side


I also installed my Rick Mayer seat I had made back in November. I got the basket weave vinyl finish. I am pretty happy with how it game out. It looks great, it doesn’t pitch you forward like the old one, and in the 5 miles I rode it seems pretty comfortable.





one more view of the seat



I decided not to change the brake fluid today also because I am going to be installing stainless steel brake lines and I haven't received the rear one yet. So I will just wait and do it all at once.

No comments: