Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Nova Scotia Day 3 - The Day of Dispair

Sunday August 19, 2007
I woke up around 7 and I could hear the wind outside and it didn't look very nice out. I was nice and warm. Dry too. I was contemplating staying in the cabin another day and just checking out Cheticamp for the day. I decided to give a couple guys a call from the BMW MOA since they were getting together in Larry's River for the Salty Fog Ride and were going to ride the Cabot Trail too. I gave Touringo a call and told him I was in Cheticamp. They were going to head to Baddeck for lunch. They would be traveling with a green K-bike towing a trailer and two yellow GSs. So I decided to hook up with them and ride up the Cabot Trail to Meat Cove since I wanted to camp there too.
I packed up and checked out of my cabin. I took a couple pictures on the coast of Cheticamp along the Gulf of St Lawrence.


I arrived in Baddeck around 11:30 so I decided to check out the Alexander Graham Bell Musuem. I parked up on the hill and walked around.




There was a pretty cool yacht on Bras d'Or Lake across the way.


I was a little hungry so I went over to the Tea Room to get some tea and I got a cookie too. Lots of tea rooms in Nova Scotia I noticed. So I chilled out for about an hour then I started to wonder if I missed the other guys. So I drove back down to the main drag and I stopped by the visitor center and looked around. I asked about Meat Cove and checked out a couple shops. It was almost 1:30 and I was thinking I must have missed them. I was just about to put on my helmet and get ready and I saw a Beemer round the corner, and there were the two yellow GSs. It had to be them.


This is Bob with the Glasses, Ron looking at a map, and Mary.


Here Paul parking his GS


Apparently they took a "short cut" across some dirt roads that added about 45 minutes onto their trip.

We decided to get some lunch. We ate at some Asian Fish Fry joint. It seemed very bizarre. I got the burger and fries, I think everyone else but Paul had fish fry while he had Chinese food.

We finished up and hit the road for the Cabot Trail. Bob led the way followed by the two GSs then me bringing up the rear. Not too long into the ride I began to realize what all the commotion on the Cabot Trail is about.




Goofing around at one of the rest stops


The views just kept coming




We kept on riding as we were heading for Meat Cove to camp for the night. We were trying to find some beer for the evening but the stores are few and far between up there. We stopped at Ingonish for gas and finally at Cape North at a small general store. We all bought a little something to eat. I picked up some Chicken soup and a sandwich. Bob and Mary bought stuff for good ol' PB&J while Ron and Paul both bought sandwiches,however, no beer. So off we went toward Meat Cove.

I have to say the road to Meat Cove wasn't nearly as rugged as people made it out to be. Only the last 8 km was dirt the rest is paved although it is bumpy.
The view on the way to Meat Cove




The sign says it all!




We took some pictures of the bikes


Then, as we were about to remount , I noticed something, something missing.


Can you spot what it is? Thats right! My left saddle bag is missing! Ahhhh!!! Where is it? It must have come off somewhere along the along the Cabot Trail.
I decided I needed to go back to look for it. Ron said he would go with me. We ran back to Cape North my eyes quickly scanning all points on the road, hoping to see my lost case. Nothing. I called the Highlands Park service and filed a lost and found report. Then dejected Ron and I headed back to Meat Cove. I appreciated Rob doubling back with me to far. I was pretty bummed out. Not only are those cases expensive but it had my clothes in it so I had nothing to change into once at camp.
One the way back we came across a "small" moose in the road. I kept riding and he got all confused and just kept running up the road. I finally stopped and he walked off into the woods. Bye Mr. Moose, thanks for not running into my S.
The sun was getting low in the sky.


Finally Meat Cove comes into view.


Who needs a GS.


My S finally makes it to the camp ground. It was pretty cool there.


Note the not so happy look on my face


We all set up camp and we had some food


I know I keep saying it but look at the views!


Its probably a 50 foot drop down those cliffs


If you look close you can see a tent out there on that rock. Thats a little too exposed for me!


A couple guys from Boston were there from Boston on some Triumphs. They have a thread on Adventure Rider going about thier "little Nova Scotia tour."


Ron was the fire master and got a great fire going.


Then we all settled down for some caveman TV and shot the breeze.


After a while it started rainig, then it started to rain really hard. It became quite a storm. We all retreated to out tents and that was it for the day. I was pretty bummed about losing a saddlebag and my clothes. I was also bummed to be stuck in the clothes I was wearing. I needed to find a store, hopefully tomorrow.
Stay Tuned, more to come...

No comments: