Saturday, May 30, 2009

Vermont Ben & Jerry's Run

Today I went out for a ride to test run the route of day 5 of the NYSOC Massive Drive.
I rode the portion from Troy, NY across part of Massachusetts, and Vermont ending at the Ben & Jerry's Factory.



Here is my purposed route for that ride. As I said earlier, I did not ride the Cobelskill to Troy portion since it's just highway riding.

View Massive Drive Day 5 in a larger map


I took Rt 7 out to Rt 2 through Grafton taking the Taconic Trail
over Petersburg Pass into Mass. I headed north and took RT 2, the Mohawk Trail, through Williamstown, North Adams, finally to Rt 8 heading to Vermont to catch Rt 100.

I took a variety of roads as you can see on the map. The other purpose of this ride was to just get some more riding in before my Minute Man attempt next weekend. I was hoping to spend about 10 hours on the bike but it ended up being 8ish.

I had a nice ride and it was a mixture of sun and clouds. It even down poured for a little while on I-89 and when I got to Waterbury VT, home of Ben & Jerry's it really started to poor. So I filled up my tank, put my jacket and pants liners in, then I headed to the factory.


I stopped just long enough to snap a picture and I turned and headed south for home. I was getting hungry and on RT 100 I came across an old train station that was converted into a Green Mountain Coffee cafe. I stopped and had a nice cup of coffee and a turkey wrap. I forgot the food shot though. The coffee was really good and warmed me up since it was pouring and windy.


After lunch I took RT 100 down to Rutland, to Rt 7 into Bennington and then stopped by Max BMW in try to pick up a new pair of rain gloves. The pair I have currently are worthless which I will have a review of them shortly. They didn't have the pair I wanted in my size but they ordered them for me.

Now in order to do the 1000 miles in 24 hours I will have to average 42 miles per hour. I averaged 45 miles per hour on mostly back roads and I stopped a lot in the beginning so I am satisfied with that. So at the pace it will take me about 22 hours. I would prefer to end at about 20 hours which most people tell me should be doable.


My total time


My total miles.


Overall I had a really nice ride today with lots of great scenery.

No comments: